Excelsior Clan Page
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Excelsior's clan page for the game M.A.G.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Specific specs for squad members?

Go down 
+2
scwightman
Huck
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Huck
Private

Specific specs for squad members? Empty
PostSubject: Specific specs for squad members?   Specific specs for squad members? I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 03, 2010 4:39 am

So I thought that it would be a cool idea to have people set up wth specific roles.
For example James (jajnjc) is a maniac, I wouldn't expect him to play any other role than a gun wielding psychopath.
But he also plays the role of an engineer and medic very well.

I've also noticed that Tjwightman is a great leader, and he is able to balance both killing and ordering, which I believe to be extremly difficult.
But he too, is an AWESOME medic and always calls out when someone needs to replenish their health.

Today we established that Malik likes to blow stuff up, and he's good at it!
So I'd like to know that we can constantly fall back on him as the teams "Rocket Man," he'll be taking down enemy turrents and trucks.

Thom, I just know this from experience, he is an exellent tachtician. If he is given enough time to learn the maps and how they're laid out
(Which is why getting maps of every field of play would be awesome) then he will have a plan laid on how to exploit the enemies weaknesses.
So that being said I think he would make a good squad leader as well.

From what little I've seen of Scwightman play, I know that he too is a good medic and a good gun. That's not saying much, but I really haven't played a whole lot with him.
I do know that he is sharpening his skills at being a Squad Leader though, and from what I've been able to tell he does a good job of it.

Everyone in this Clan thus far is reliable and skilled, I am happy with how this group is.
But the reason I am saying all this is because I think that it may be benificial to having specific names to call out when a bunker needs repairing, or someone needs to be sniped in the face, or an enemy turret needs to be taken care of, etc, as opposed to "Can someone take care of.... *blank*"

And if those people know their roles in the group, eventually they wont even have to be called upon to complete their task.

But these are just my thoughts on the matter.

Who thinks what?
Back to top Go down
scwightman
General
General
scwightman

PostSubject: Re: Specific specs for squad members?   Specific specs for squad members? I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 03, 2010 7:24 am

Huck wrote:

For example James (jajnjc) is a maniac, I wouldn't expect him to play any other role than a gun wielding psychopath.

What a way to start my day... hahahaha
Back to top Go down
scwightman
General
General
scwightman

PostSubject: Re: Specific specs for squad members?   Specific specs for squad members? I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 03, 2010 7:26 am

I really LOVE the idea. I am just not too sure if I am sure what I am good at yet. I mean i haven't tried so much still... like sniping, electronics... but maybe thats ok.

I will get in whatever role you want me to.
Back to top Go down
tjwightman
General of the Army
General of the Army
tjwightman

PostSubject: Re: Specific specs for squad members?   Specific specs for squad members? I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 03, 2010 10:25 am

I think this is a GREAT idea. I love Malik's and James' section of the post. Cause for sure we found out yesterday that Malik loves to blow stuff up. I think before we do this though Sean is right in that he hasn't tried everything to find out what he likes yet. So maybe we need to wait just a little longer and get people more experience just in MAG in general.

As I said... Awesome idea, i think we just need a little more time to let people find the niche they love before making them stick to it. I am pretty sure though that some people have already found it like you said with James and Malik.

Great POST! This is the kind of stuff we need on our forums.
Back to top Go down
https://excelsior.darkbb.com
Thom_Sawyer
Private

PostSubject: Re: Specific specs for squad members?   Specific specs for squad members? I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 03, 2010 1:23 pm

I think this is a FANTASTIC idea! I truly agree that having people fulfill certain roles will greatly streamline our performance in example. Generality is inefficient-- saying I need "someone" to get this done, isn't going to make it happen -OR- its going to make EVERYONE rush to do it, leaving other aspects vulnerable.

Obviously, this is how the U.S. military functions within its squads as well, and I would say to great effect. Although for the purposes of a game, we probably don't need to follow the traditional archetype of "Rifleman, Grenadier, SAW" it would certainly be beneficial to have roles established.

Per squad, for instance:

-One sniper would be ideal. More than this detracts from our assault capabilites, but having one on overwatch will provide a lot of support, and help keep enemy snipers off our back

-One or two engineers would be great to have at all times (except on sabotage). Attacking they can keep our transports up, and defending they will be even more vital, in which case we may even want two or three. I have been caught in squads (before joining the clan) where we had no one playing engineer and systems went down quickly.. to say the least.

-Medics: well, everyone will fulfill this role to a certain extent. Everyone having the ability to revive will greatly improve our forward momentum and limit the time spent spawning and running. Perhaps having a dedicated medic could be useful though? He would still fight, but his priority above all else would be keeping the squad alive and healed at all times.

-Two rocket launchers in the squad are a must for both attacking and defending Acquisition and Domination... turrets, APC's, etc are all high value targets that we need to destroy as soon as they become a threat.

-Electronics are potentially a very valuable tool, but they are rather situational. For instance, having the Explosives locator would be great when attacking using a transport... i hate anti-tank mines...

Additionally, the Sensor Jammer has a lot of potential in helping us sneak in to close quarters while attackings, and the Motion Sensor would be great for defending so that would could intercept any one trying to slip past the front lines. Perhaps one electician in our squad who could switch loadouts based on the situation would be good.

-Grenades: Frag grenades are of course a must.... we need as many as our squad can afford to carry. Likewise, a few individuals with smoke grenades (as mentioned in my smoke grenades thread) could be very useful.

As far as primary weapons are concerned, I feel this can mostly be left up to personal preference. Again I think having one sniper would be great, and having at least two individuals with the LMG could be good so they can sustain high rates of fire.. but the rest is up to the individual.

Again, just some ideas, of course these need to be developed further!

And as far as Squad Leaders, I am in favor of allowing anyone who wants it to apply for it. Ideally, the more leadership points we all have, the more roles our clan can fill. We shoud all eventually unlock the Platoon Leader and CO postions, in my opinion.
Back to top Go down
Huck
Private

PostSubject: Re: Specific specs for squad members?   Specific specs for squad members? I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 03, 2010 2:06 pm

Boy, that's rich.
Thom just fine tuned all of my thoughts on the matter, and even extended it further! Lol
Back to top Go down
jajnjc
General
General

PostSubject: Re: Specific specs for squad members?   Specific specs for squad members? I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 03, 2010 2:27 pm

first off i would like to say that im not the pyschopath my gun vera is second, i do agree if we have 8 member playing htat there should be some specifics but tyler nad i had talked about this and agreed that the larger the clan gets the harder it would be to get a good 8 together since you could end up with multiple snipers of hte clan in the same group. I think we ashould all have specifics without a doubt but being able to use multiple things efficiently only adds to our adaptability on the feild and thereby our chance of success......to many big words, in terms. WANT SOME..... GET SOME!
Back to top Go down
Huck
Private

PostSubject: Re: Specific specs for squad members?   Specific specs for squad members? I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 03, 2010 2:42 pm

James, what're you? White? Lol
GET SOME!!
Back to top Go down
Thom_Sawyer
Private

PostSubject: Re: Specific specs for squad members?   Specific specs for squad members? I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 03, 2010 2:49 pm

That is also a very good point James. Since it is unlikely to have a set group of 8 always playing together, we should each have a couple flexible loadouts, and we should all be willing to be flexible in game too.

For instance, if got a group of 8 together with two people who typically play sniper, they could trade off each game, one as sniper and the other as rifleman, so that at any given time we still only had one sniper.

Adaptability is important, and I'm glad you brought that up!
Back to top Go down
Huck
Private

PostSubject: Re: Specific specs for squad members?   Specific specs for squad members? I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 03, 2010 2:59 pm

I was thinking that same thing.

Just a quick random thought here, but something that I like to do while playing Sabotage, is once we take objectives A and B I like to move over to the enemy respawn areas of C and just ambush the enemy as they run to defend their final objective. I mean... I get quite a bit of sneaky unfair kills that way, but I thnk it could potentially be a pretty good thing if we had... Maybe 2 guys on either side doing that? Becuase not only would it slow them from defending the final objective, but it would thin their numbers (ideally)

Yah or nay?
Back to top Go down
Thom_Sawyer
Private

PostSubject: Re: Specific specs for squad members?   Specific specs for squad members? I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 03, 2010 3:13 pm

I'll say "yay" to that! Most people coming flying out of their spawn at a sprint to defend C, so it would be easy to take advantage of them while they are exposed. And even if they caught on, the time they spend to hunt us down keeps them from re-securing C.
Back to top Go down
Huck
Private

PostSubject: Re: Specific specs for squad members?   Specific specs for squad members? I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 03, 2010 3:16 pm

Exactly, so I think that doing this would be a pretty cool thing that would probably help a lot!
Back to top Go down
Menox
Private

PostSubject: Re: Specific specs for squad members?   Specific specs for squad members? I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 03, 2010 5:37 pm

I agree on making assignments. So far I've invested all of my points in assault but I need to add some kind of support. What do we need right now? I know we have a lot of medics. Should I go with repair?
Back to top Go down
tjwightman
General of the Army
General of the Army
tjwightman

PostSubject: Re: Specific specs for squad members?   Specific specs for squad members? I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 03, 2010 5:37 pm

That worked really well today... nice idea Huck.
Back to top Go down
Huck
Private

PostSubject: Re: Specific specs for squad members?   Specific specs for squad members? I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 04, 2010 3:13 am

Menox

I know that we don't really have many repair guys (the only one I can think of is jajnjc) so it would be awesome to have another body capable of doing that. But I know Tjwightman really pushes the idea that everyone have the ability to raise a downed ally. And I agree with that...

So I guess that is up for disscussion, should or engineers be required to carry medical supplies as well?
Back to top Go down
tjwightman
General of the Army
General of the Army
tjwightman

PostSubject: Re: Specific specs for squad members?   Specific specs for squad members? I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 04, 2010 9:07 am

I have one of my loadouts that has both. I dont think it is a good idea for everyone to be forced to carry both in one loadout because it makes it so that you cant carry too much else... even max out your main gun.
Back to top Go down
Menox
Private

PostSubject: Re: Specific specs for squad members?   Specific specs for squad members? I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 04, 2010 9:44 am

Yeah, that would be a problem. I wouldn't be able to carry both and max out my gun. I like the idea that everyone should be able to rez a downed teammate but that might not be realistic with the limitations on weight limit. I think we should have a *few* members specialize in specific areas and have most of the team carry medical kits. But then we would rely on that one member to be present for those specific tasks...

Looks like we need more input from other members. Those are just my thoughts. I still need to level up before I spend any points so we have a little time.
Back to top Go down
Huck
Private

PostSubject: Re: Specific specs for squad members?   Specific specs for squad members? I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 04, 2010 2:44 pm

Yeah those are my thoughts too, I'd like for everyone to have the ability to raise downed squad mates, but realistically we can't ask someone to make the sacrifice to have both Meds and Eng, because then they'll lose firepower and the game may not be as fun to them?

I guess it really depends on the person.
Back to top Go down
jajnjc
General
General

PostSubject: Re: Specific specs for squad members?   Specific specs for squad members? I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 05, 2010 4:31 pm

ok guys this is how i do it. Loadout 1: R55-3 with 4x zoom suppressor and foregrip and smoke grenades, med kit with reinforced composite; it is my primary loadout that i use on sabo or when attacking on the others. Loadout 2: Atac 2000 with 4x zoom and suppessor, med kit and repair kit with mesh composite; i use this primarly for defending in dom and acquisition i do also switch to it when attacking in acq. sometimes to repair bridges and the such. I use all 5 loadouts and jump between them when neccessary allowing my to be more versitile, for example i have my primary loadout but with mesh comp. allowing me to carry frag grenades, i have the r553 w/ 4x zzom nothing else with repair and med kit for defending if i need to counter snipe. Basically what i am saying is that i have 5 loadouts and each one brings the most pain to as many possiblities as i can think of.
Back to top Go down
Menox
Private

PostSubject: Re: Specific specs for squad members?   Specific specs for squad members? I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 05, 2010 5:12 pm

I got the medical kit last night. I plan on getting improved repair also. But we don't need repair all the time so I thought I would go medical also.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Specific specs for squad members?   Specific specs for squad members? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Specific specs for squad members?
Page 1 of 1